I think this is high time that the above question needs to be answered.
Answering straight to the question
- If you are able to tell a story /make the viewer to stare at the image for a while / frame an idea, show something really beautiful (Street,Travel)
- If you are documenting something (Wildlife, Poverty, Illegal acts, War)
- If you are making a concept (Conceptual , Creative Ads)
- If you are showing off something which is not possible to see by the general naked eyes (Macro, Aerial, Underwater)
- If you are making something really beautiful (Landscapes, Events, Portfolios,Fashion, Products, etc.,)
1. And why street is on the top
Nothing is in your control; you and your camera only, yet you put an idea, piece of intelligence there between the four lines. Not lighting, not the subjects, nothing is in your control.
2. Here is why Wildlife, War, Poverty – Humanity
You have less control, much more risk in shooting wildlife, sometimes fatal, compromising on your comfort level staying in some remote places where there are no humans, no food, no water yet you loved your camera and went for it, recording the wildlife’s unseen actions and unseen lives.
Likewise you have risked your life for documenting Poverty, Illegal acts, War to bring attention of the common people and governments, activists.
*It is really difficult to classify these two titles in to first & second position, yet I have taken a stand and given importance to photographical point of view. Do not be very sympathetic, ideas have made us evolved from the invention of stone wheel till cryogenic engines.
3. Conceptual Ads, Creative awareness ad Photography
Everything is under your control, but you have put your intelligence there.
4. Macro, Under water, Aerial Photography
You use so many equipments to capture that outstanding shot, much more planning, taking risk etc.,
5. Landscapes, Events, portfolios
Photographing landscapes is nothing than to take a very beautiful photograph, purely personal satisfaction. Events, portfolios, products all are commercial. Hence last.
Just because you bought an inexpensive or expensive camera, it does not mean that you have to take snapshots. Start respect the master piece of engineering, it will start giving you photographs. Believe me. Start learning, Photography is fun, it is happiness.
Here are few links where either you will learn something or you would be astonished by the masters.
Few iconic images been analyzed by experts here (Check out all the four parts)
Check this master’s images here (Outstanding photographs can be in colour as well)
The above two links are just sample, there are so many masters, start searching.
By writing this article I am not trying to establishing myself as a great photographer or master but I am trying to be one by each time I press the shutter button and most importantly I am learning by day by day. I have taken for granted to write this article assuming that, I am a photographer because one of my photographs went to 2 stories height of printing and one other image is being displayed in an international creative online gallery. Even when these two images are not selected for any display, I would be writing this because I understand what photography is. I am doing wedding photography as my profession.